Monday, September 05, 2005

Hervey Bay: On the Way


Went up to Hervey Bay today aboard the Tilt Train. The Tilt Train runs from Brisbane all the way up to Cairns. It was supposed to take about 4 hours to get there but a train broke down in front of us, so we were stuck in town called Gympie (pronounced gimpy), appropriately :) Arrived in Hervey Bay and made a quick phone call to the hostel, the Aussie Woolshed, where I will be staying. They quickly came and picked up and after about a 10 min drive I was at my accomodations. The Aussie Woolshed is located in a neighboorhood with other homes and hostels and is about 10 min walk from the beach. Once there I got my room and proceeded to wander around the property. The property is quaint with cabin like buildings that contain dorm rooms and a woolshed that is used as a common room. I wandered over to the common room to meet some others but there was only one couple from Germany and they didn't speak much English. After walking around the hostel for a while I decided to walk to down to the shops and grab some dinner. It was about 7:oo pm and dark. As I was walking I could hear the waves crashing on the shore so I found a path down to the beach to take a look. Once on the beach I was presented with a great of view of the stars and the sand. After staring at the stars and watching the waves I headed back up to the shops. It was getting late so I walked back to the hostel because I had an early start in the morning, whale watching.

No comments: